Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Volume 1
This is the first in the series of notes from me. These are basically Epiphanies that I've had and just need to get off of my mind. They might be helpful just as well as they might as well might not. Here goes:
Child to Adult
Lookin at today's world but in particularly refering to the Bahamas, it seems as if children of todays world are in some sort of rush to become an adult or surpressed to forever childhood.
I've noticed that high school students are so quick to morph into something that they aren't supposed to be just yet. They work for quick money or they have these much older partners that force them into maturity beyond their time. After graduation, if they graduate, they work and are being underpaid not concerned about furthering their education but "Makin that paper." They will go on sayin that "It'll make me a better person in the long run." But will it really? You're 35 and you haven't smiled in years, you're either in dept up to your eyeballs or you're so stressed you chew blood pressure pills like gum. At 50 you're suffering a mid-life crisis and you want to be young again...live your youth but.........not saying thats its never too late to be forever young....but lets face it you're so beat you couldn't jiggle your eyebrows much less your tail feather. It just doesn't seem right.
Then there are those other kids whose parents shelter and protect them that they have no form of independency or experiences to get them on the road of maturity and onto becoming an adult. They are then forever trapped under their parents' finger. Not knowing how to survive in the real world. Why risk themselves when they can always return to the security of being "Mama's litle boy or daddy's little girl."
I'm not saying that you should never mature or that you should try to be a child for as long as possible. The transformation from an child to an adult should be a gradual process and not something that just is or it isn't.
I see adults as grown children with a bit more experience. No matter how old we get or the people around us get they do childish things. Some people are more focused and drop more of the childish things and others are holding on. I think that maturity and becoming an adult is the taking in of experiences and wisdom so that they mold and shape your character for the bettering.
So when thinking of adults now, its not right to say that "I pay my own bills....I'm a man or I'm a woman." Its the fact that you've actually learned responsibility and used the things you've learned to shape your thinking and actions.
~ Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered through personal experience does not become a part of the moral tissue.~ Edith Wharton



